Friday 5 June 2015

The Unexpected 2

I had my earphones on, listening to music while Idowu and KC chatted with the driver.

Suddenly I heard a sudden burst of laughter so I quickly removed the earphones to hear what the joke was about. KC had started his jokes. Idowu was laughing hysterically. Even the driver was laughing too. I turned back, Tega was saying...

"You guys seem to be used to working in an informal setting"

"Well, we're considered to be off duty till we sign in the log register at the branch" I Jokingly replied

"The bank considers you on duty cos the risk of this journey is on them"

Like she had been suppressing the laughter from Kc's jokes, there was a forceful laugh when KC got to the part of the story where his guest's high heels was stolen from the door of his one room somewhere in Oregun. The visiting girl had come with six inches heel that KC equated to an Iroko tree. After her visit and 'forming' for him, she was set to go only to find her shoe was missing from the foot mat at the door of his room.

We all busted into laughter. Tega laughed too, but it was obvious she tried to control it.


Ibadan is a lively city. Fleshy women abound. Full busty girls seemed to be in every nook and cranny of Ibadan. I wondered at the many beautiful works of art called women peacefully going about their businesses here. Although a bit loud, a typical 'Ibadanese' as KC would call them wasn't bothered about that. In fact, they'd show off the pride in themselves by cussing you out.
There were also people dressed in native. Something rare on a typical Monday in Lagos.

Unusual also, was that many of the houses are not orderly arranged into streets per se. The back of one house could be facing the front of another person's house.Or perhaps, unusual to people new to the lively ancient city.


The car was to take us to a hotel Tega had described to him. The plan was to take rooms and drop our bags then he'd take us to the branch we were to visit first.

But on getting to Ibadan we were lagging behind on time. If we went to the hotel first, we'd be late to the branch, which was unacceptable. So we headed straight to the branch. Paid the driver and Tega even gave him extras. He was a very lively and accommodating elderly man. He laughed hysterically through the  journey that lasted about two hours and doubled as a travel guide.

The Branch Manager received us very well, as though we were some very special and high powered delegate from Head Office. Very warm reception. They had been expecting us. We dropped our bags in his office, we set to work. Tega was to coordinate and oversee what we did while we did the hands-on job.
At the end of the day's job, we had successfully upgraded the branch to the HO's new standard. We finished at few minutes to 7pm. The BM was delighted. He asked where we were staying, we said no were just going to look for an accommodation. He called the driver to put out bags in the boot and asked us to give him the pleasure of hosting us. They called the head of marketing and asked for the department's car.

He got into the front seat of his own official car. I sat behind the driver while Tega sat beside, behind the BM.

In the other car was the Admin, Idowu and KC.

We rode in front while the other car trailed behind.

Minutes later, we drove into the drive-way of an exquisite hotel at Challenge. From the reception, the hotel told of some good experiences to come. Hmm....
Anyway, at this time I was already tired. I couldn't wait to take a gulp of some rum. I had come along with one.

The BM had called the manager of the hotel on the way so the reception was nice. Like Very Important Persons were here. Tega took a room, I took another adjacent hers. KC and ID took rooms downstairs.
The driver was to come and get us at 8am. We thanked the kind BM and he left. He had requested we drop our bags and join him for a drink but we declined as we were tired. I was beginning to wonder if this 'kind' man wasn't after any of us. Definitely we, the guys. You never know with all these very 'kind' bank managers. Lol.
Well, everyone retired to their rooms. I opened my bag and brought out the bottle of rum I had come with.

An attendant knocked and asked what I wanted to have for dinner. I could order anything. I guess that's why the Admin came along.

I rather asked if she could get my shirt and trousers to the laundry to have them pressed. She obliged, walked over to the intercom on the side stool and dialed the laundry. As she walked over I could she how much of a good shape she had but I'm a bit too conserved *wink* to be that raunchy. I didn't give her a second thought. As I handed her the clothes she asked about what I wanted to eat. I asked her what time the restaurant closes, she said 10pm. But that guest staying in the hotel can call the kitchen for food or drinks 24hours a day. I asked her to help me get a glass cup. She left and came back with two wine cups on a tray. So i teased if I was still to pay for room service. Because you never know with these hotels. They can bill you just for bringing an empty cup. She passed off my naivety as a joke. I shrugged and took it as she left. I didn't know what can over the conservative guy o, but as she turned to go, my eyes fell of the calabash of this girl o. I had to shake it off once the door closed behind her. I poured a bit of rum into it and gulped it down. Still, images of what I had just seen wouldn't leave me be.
Minutes later I felt the hunger of the whole day tightening up the walls of my stomach. I decided to go down to the restaurant instead of calling them up. It'll afford me the opportunity to see around where I was staying better.

As I stepped into the restaurant, there was Tega! Seated on a table with a pack of Fumman orange juice, and snacks. Well, if I went to another table it will look lame. So I joined her.


"Tega" I called out
She turned around to see me

"You should be resting for the work ahead tomorrow stag" she joked.

"I just wanted to have a feel of this place a little" images from what I had just seen flashed across

"Its a nice place really. And i think the BM was nice" she said

"I hope it reflects in your reports" I teased

She laughed.

We started chatting.

"Your lens is a bit thicker than average" I quipped "what's your measurement"

"Do u use glasses too?" She asked

"No" I replied
"You asked like you use one"
"Its no rocket science that focal length is measured"

We chatted some more, well into an hour.


From the chat I knew she was from the state 'with a big heart'. From remarks and comments she made I knew she wasn't married and stayed at an estate opposite that Presbyterian church in Yaba. Tajudeen blah blah...

In a very careless manner I mentioned I just took a quick shot of rum. She asked where? And I foolishly told her I had come along with a bottle. She didn't seem to like the sound of that. Immediately i noticed her subtle reaction, I asked her and she explained that it's not like she doesn't enjoy drinks but does not do rums, she rather enjoys creams like baileys but certainly not while on a job.

We talked a lot more and I found out she he had schooled in UI years ago and knew Ibadan fairly well. And that some of her friends still stay in Ibadan.


We chatted other small stuff and about our job in Ibadan.

During our chat, the lady that took my clothes for to the laundry room for ironing came and said it was ready. I just pulled out my room key and asked her to drop it for me. As she walked away, I glanced at her gentle sways. And yes, those swayings swayed my mind away from Tega briefly...

A good sway makes a man excited, no doubt. Don't blame me, God's programming.

Tega asked me why I'd give my room key to a hotel attendants, did I not know they are thieves? I just smiled and said

"This one is not" I replied

"And why do you know a thief if I may ask" she retorted

You know a good girl in her mannerism

"Then you'd be a type to be easily deceived"

"On the contrary Tega" I smiled.

"Well, I hope u don't have any money in the room"

"I do"

"Then it must be change"

"No. Quite an amount" I said

"So you trust so easily?"

"No, I don't trust easily" but "Sometimes, I give nature benefit of doubt"


That night passed.


I have come to know Tega as friendly and doesn't overstep boundaries. And I refrained from being too 'familiar' with her. Some jokes, chats, and questions, yet a little distance.


From the hotel, the driver came on time and picked us to the branch where we thanked the BM heartily, he asked the driver to drop us at the next branch we were to work. He called the BM of that branch on phone and said

"They will be at your place soon. When they finish, they may go back to same hotel they stayed or if they decide on a change"

He said these like he tried to pass on a message that he's no longer taking care of anything else since we were done with this branch.


After the day's successful work, the BM asked the driver and one other guy to take us to where we stayed. I think the guy was to find out how much the accommodation was and two meals for each of us.


For every branch we worked, the each BM provided an official vehicle to transport us to and fro the branch from the hotel, the bills (feeding and laundry).


On the third day, I noticed something. When we got back to the hotel and refreshed, we came out. It had become a ritual to get back, shower and come out of our rooms, or maybe we were looking forward to seeing each other and our chats. She was at the reception area when I strolled down to get call credit for my phones. She was in a pair of brown shorts and slacks. We were talking when that same attendant was passing by and greeted me. I greeted her back and...

"What's ur name?"

"Funke" then she also greeted Tega

"Okay, thanks for the other day"

"No problem sir" Funke replied, turned and left

When I turned to face Tega, she was different!

Her eyes had rage in them!! She gave that look your girlfriend wears when she's with you and catches u looking at another girl. Envy? But that can't be. There's a wide gap in status between Tega and a hotel attendant. Well, maybe I didn't understand that attention matters to a girl. One I had unconsciously given her. And she wouldn't want a shapely 'rival' around her while we gisted about the day's event. Though, I had thought how nice it'd be with a girl like Tega but I never thought it possible.

Oops!.. :O


Since when? I must have been slow to catch on that her "Good morning" formal greetings had turned to "Hi"

Her formal "How are you?" had turned to "how was your night?"


From nowhere Idowu and KC joined us. All four of us were talking and laughing when suddenly KC stopped and slowly stood up. I turned to see a girl thoroughly dressed with fresh make-up on her face walk up to us. Her lips shining with gloss.

At this time of the night, ladies' make-up are wearing off. How come she's so freshly dressed at this time of the night except she's a...


"I have to go" Kc said and without waiting for anyone to say anything, he walked over to the girl.

Tega just acted like she didn't know what's up.

"Na wa for KC o" Idowu said

"Its been days, u too should do something fast" I said jokingly to Idowu

"See who is talking. Mr team leader you don't even know my scores"

Tega looked up at him and slowing shook her head

"You guys should be careful" she said. Then raised her head to look straight into my eyes

"And you too, Stag" Tega said, her eyes piercing.

"That's why I came with a bottle of rum, u don't have to worry about me"

I could see a relief in those eyes.

She smiled.


Whaaatt!!! I looked at her but again didn't see any smile. I thought I had seen a quick sly smile somewhere on that face. Maybe I didn't see anything afterall.

Idowu yawned tired and retired to his room. Again I was left with Tega. After a while chatting, we bade goodnight and left to our rooms. Ten minutes later I my intercom buzzed

"Who's it" I wondered aloud into the mouthpiece.

"Its Tega" the voice responded

"Do you smell something?"

"No I said"

"There's a disturbing smell in my room"

"Like what" I asked

"Can u come, please?"

I went to her room. There were packs of juice, chocolate bars, and a trolley with milk, sugar, fruits on it. On the bed was her laptop and Bon Jovi was playing 'mystery train'.

Truly, I could smell that faint scent of SK. Whoever was in the next room must having been smoking some real odorless blunt. In this posh hotel? I asked her to call the reception but she refused. She then asked if I could stand outside with her till the smell fades. I obliged.

While outside I just jokingly said it would have been better if we waited in my room, it was awkward standing at this time of a night outside the corridor. She didn't object, rather she said

"I had thought about it too"

So we went to my room. She teased I didn't even know how to drink, the bottle of rum wasn't even up to half yet, indicating I don't drink much. She took videos I downloaded from you-tube from my laptop to her phone. Some 20minutes later we went back to her room and she could now sleep.

The next morning I found out from Funke it was a young chap that looked like a 'yahoo-boy' that took the room with his girlfriend. He had been staying there for two weeks.

            *********************************************
            *********************************************

I had woken up exceptionally strong on this morning. We set out to work. When it was lunch time, I decided to stroll out. Usually, the branch arranged food from an eatery. when I got outside I couldn't help but notice again that women in Ibadan had huge asses! Damn!!

It flashed in my mind that Tega schooled here. Maybe no wonder her huge batty.

I walked into a store to buy things. I bought cashew nuts, three cans of smirnoff ice. As I was about to leave my eyes caught something. A bottle of baileys! I bought it. The big size.


I returned to the branch office. On our way back to the hotel, I handed a can of smirnoff ice to Idowu and Kc each. Tega sat in front. The driver asked if there was any more for him. Lol. Even driver on duty wanted to indulge but I hadn't considered him. He dropped us off and I gave him 2,000 Naira to get whatever he wanted for himself. He was very happy.



As we walked through the reception, I said to Tega:



"I have a gift for you"...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...