Saturday 23 May 2015

The Black Sheep Xv

Some have. Some have not. A reality that can not be changed. While we are at liberty to talk about making money and being rich, a few well bred consider it an unnecessary public discussion.
Bragging about money was not exactly Ada's thing but one look at her told of a wealthy background, no gain-saying. One would expect such a person to be arrogant, rude and obnoxious. Yet, she was polite, friendly and in the least case of not liking the person, she deals with curtsy and ethics. This has earned reputation as an easy going person. But regardless how much easy going one is, someone somewhere will think otherwise . Mercy had thought her otherwise. And had found solace with a like mind, Mr Sanya.
Mr Sanya was the type of ostentatious colleague who wants you to notice his new expensive wristwatch. When there was a social function to attend, a wedding, naming ceremony of end of year events, he was all in flashy gold jewelry. He talked about the neighborhood he stays, announcing it as being 'strictly for the rich'. He had his own clique and seemed to dole out cash leisurely.
Of course, most people who live such lifestyles always seek other ways of making money to maintain their fathom 'affluence'. While I was friendly with most of the members of staff, Mr Sanya was never really the kind of person I felt very free with.
One thing I have come to realize over time and meeting people is this: Those with wealthy backgrounds do not talk about money outside. Maybe one might call that 'proper upbringing' or 'home training' or because they just don't see anything about the fuss created around having money.

Bad belle is allowed. But there are a set of people who just automatically hates you because you seem to be a bit more than them. This was Ada's crime, the unfairness with the world. Some have a rethink and when some have this rethink, it solves the complex whole. As Mercy did.

Enough of that. But there's a link to this concluding part of the story. As to motives and affiliations. Mercy was taken to Mr Sanya in mutual dislike for Ada. Efe was the free minded guy who mingled freely with everyone, made everyone laugh. Not much is known to me about how Isa fits until I found out.

The next day at the office, the news about Isa spread like wild fire. Some felt pity for him, some did not. He paid the price for putting his hand into devious things. You get paid just for covering the lens of a security camera? How can you not know that something is wrong?
Well, people had their points but RIP to the dead.

I was at my table when absurdities began to turn into weirdness. I felt someone approaching my and looked. I was shocked!
"Good morning stag" Mercy said
"Good morning ma"
"How are you doing?"
"I'm doing okay. And you?"
"If I tell you I'm doing just great, what would my face tell you?"
I couldn't answer. I just looked on. Mercy's face looked unattended to, somewhat unkempt. I wondered if she had been crying because her eyes looked so. She managed a smile and said
"Do you have the time for a word?"
Mercy? Wants a word with me? What's happening here? What's all these about? There's only one way to find out...
"I could manage to have a minute" clearly telling her I'm not so much as to be wasteful with time, talking. Let alone to her.

Less than a minute later, we were outside. Once we were out..
"I know these past couple of days have been stressful for all of us..."
Is this really Mercy giving me a sermon? Or...
"...and I know you have a direct contact with that police officer in charge..."
"Detective James?"
"Yes, Detective James. Can we go see him?"
Okay, at this point I had to ask
"What's all these about?"
She wouldn't say anything. Well, I had to oblige her cos there had better been an explanation to all these.

An hour later, we were in the office of the detective. The first question she asked the officer amazed me. She asked to know how a voluntary witness will be protected if the person willingly comes forward. Or if the witness would need a separate lawyer.
I was taken aback. Has someone come out to Mercy and confessed or is she about to trick us into something...
Then in a rather strong and resolute way, she began with the finality of a speech well thought over and rehearsed...
"I will be a witness in the prosecution of Mr Sanya for all the charges against him."

Shocked! Shocked!! Shocked was I!!! Was I hearing right? Or I thought I was until I heard her next words...
"And for the death of Isa" she added after a brief pause.
The detective was a shocked as I was.
How rational was this? By this move, she saying she is not guilty but knows something in a case of attempted murder and murder. I was wowed!
Then she turned to me
"For my personal reasons, I came to you first. I could have come to the station by myself. So I'm sure what I've said here remains as confidential as it is to the officers in charge. That is, if you really want the perpetrator put behind bar."

Indeed, absurdities were turning the day into one of the weirdest yet.

She left me with the detective at the station after exchanging direct contacts et al. She always said she has made her confessions on being approached by Mr Sanya...

When I returned to the office, more shocking news greeted me.

Before coming to me in the morning, she had gone to the MD's office and submitted a letter. Resignation letter.

Mercy had resigned.





 Mercy had resigned on personal grounds. The news took many of us unaware.

The next day went by. Other colleagues felt she ought to have been humiliated out of the company, given an inglorious exit. I didn't think much of that so I rather didn't comment much because people definitely would be looking forward to my opinion. Much more, to Ada's. Ada too spoke less about it, except of course, that the decision to quit was solely hers. No doubt everyone would expect her to have some relief, even Mercy would.

Efe hadn't been much of himself lately. I guess to an extent, he felt guilty of so many things. But he had been very useful in all these.

That morning, Detective James called and asked if we could see. I left for his office about forty-five minutes later.
In his office I met two other officers in mufti.
"Normally, we do not give out details of an investigation while its going on but you have been part of this all along..." The detective was saying. I had no response so I kept mute and he continued
"Mercy escaped being attacked last night. She went to buy domestic stuff in her neighborhood mart when some masked gunmen visited her apartment. Her neighbors saw these men clothed in black"
I was shocked. Mercy too was attacked? I did a double check and I asked myself
'Or was it staged?'

Hmmm... Anyway, Mercy had been moved to a different location and given two guards. Well, Mercy seemed to know more incriminating things than I thought. Obvious from the fact that someone would have her go the way of Isa. And can two guards save her? Except of course no one knows where she's been hid away.

Ironically, members of a clique haunting and hunting themselves! If you pledge your allegiance to a deadly group, you are automatically up for same.
Detective James' words jolted me back to the present.
"You were the only one who knew that Mercy wants to be witness"
"What?!" I blurted out!
"Its funny but all along you had been a suspect" he paused while I just starred blankly at the man
"But now we have case. A solid one that would more than a tough defense counsel to counter"
I relaxed a bit. Yeah, we were all suspects at some point I guess
"I called you here to say thank you" he said
"And to let you know you have been of tremendous help in this case. Thank you."
For a minute it sounded like I was being given an award for something. I mean, it felt good but the formality of it just made it a bit awkward.
It was nice being a civilian, unpaid volunteer detective. You know, like I was working undercover and stuff but until now I never really thought about some of the consequences. I could have been a target too, being part of the investigation.

I left there feeling really good and got to the office at about 1:45pm. Just as I sat down, I saw Detective James enter with the two other officers. The look on his face was strict and professional. It kind of baffled and unsettled me. What were they here for?

With a precision of purpose, they headed to the accounts section. Feeling like a part of the strike team or something, I followed. Just as I was arriving there I heard...
"Mr Sanya Olu, you are under arrest for the murder of one Mr Isa. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law. You are entitled to your legal counsel and in the case that you are not able to have one, one will be available to you."
Mr Sanya just stood there, not saying anything. The two other detectives with Detective James held and cuffed him. He was walked out of the office suite in a matter of few minutes, even before people realized what was going on. Before the MD was even informed of developments, Mr Sanya was seated in the police car headed out to cool off his heels in jail.





Epilogue
Mercy and Isa had come from same hometown. In fact, it was through Mercy that Mr Isa was employed. She happened to know his family well. His wife and herself even attend their tribe's social meetings here in Lagos every last sunday of the month. All the while, maybe only Efe knew how close they were.
So, it had happened that through Mercy, Mr Sanya and Isa had been even any close at all.

When Mr Sanya had things planned out, Mercy had declined the extreme measures he wanted to use. She was against harming her physically. Mercy had preferred things to be done on the job. So, after being rude to Ada, it was clear that Mr Sanya hadn't much power over affairs that much.

Since she would not play ball, Isa was the next sure bet to keep things discreet hinging on his loyalty to Mercy. He agreed. And was paid that same morning after covering the camera.
Mercy had told Mr Sanya she wouldn't be in the office that day for health reasons, Mr Sanya saw an opportunity. He told Isa to send his colleague to Ada that she had a visitor downstairs. Soon as Ada left to see who it was, the camera got covered and the contents of a rolled piece of paper was sprinkled into Ada food flask. In a rush, same paper was squeezed and thrown into the trash can. Mission accomplished.


Well, he was a loose end that could break under keen scrutiny. The mastermind had to act quickly. And eliminating traces was paramount. Isa was a trace.
Unfortunate, but he was an accomplice to attempted murder. What if the person they had poisoned had died? He would have just gone about his normal business, enjoying a good life out of the cash. The boomerang came back to ricochet off him.


Mercy had started to feel guilty in all of these. And broke finally when Isa died. So I ask, if Isa had not died, would she have felt sober enough to come out?

Well, I don't know how the layers would argue her out of any blames because knowing of a plan doesn't necessary make you part of the plan. Or she could argue she thought the plan was a joke initially during cross-examination.

Either way, Mr Sanya was in for one hell of a ride beyond jail to prison. The best his lawyers can do is shield him from being on death row. He had been running and his heels must really ache bad. Time to cool it off presently, in jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...